Tuesday 5 July 2016

Referendum day in Luneburg

I have been thinking for a while of creating a new blog where I could have the occasional rant and even amuse you. Well this is too good a chance to miss.

We were in Germany during that catastrophic week of the BREXIT vote and I want to share that experience!

It was quite exciting getting a postal vote for the first time. I was disappointed that they wouldn't give 200 votes that I wanted, but made do with the one :  firmly dispatched into the post well before departure.
Altstadt Gästehaus Drewes Wale
The fateful day of voting began for us in a restored 15th century  inn in the Alt Stadt part of Luneburg.It was our piece of luxury after a 340 mile drive from the Netherlands and it was so tempting to add another night so I could watch the votes coming in via the special CNN programme fronted no doubt by the ever hyperactive Richard Quest. I did enjoy his shredding of the two former crumbly old Tory Chancellors Lords Lawson and  Lamont the night before though.

So it was back to the tent in the delightful Rota Schleuse campsite two miles south of the city. I should have known the portents were not good as during that Thursday night the rain came down, accompanied by the low rumble of brrrrrrrrrEXIT     as the lightning flashed.. BrrrrrrrrrrrrEXIT.

Next morning I hastened to the car radio before 6.00, but it was all so German and so quick.Then I thought I heard "Triumph fur Nigel Farage". I kept trying to find an English voice but no good. At last I found a North German radio newscaster who was clear and non frenetic. It was clear  BREXIT had won.

I was devastated.I have been a European since my school days arguing with my old school friend about the then Common Market.

Campsite Rote Schleuse

No comments:

Post a Comment